Sunday, March 4, 2007

Roberto Arlt: Los Siete Locos-first half



Before I start……This book is soooooo boring. I can’t take it. I actually caught myself almost falling asleep every few paragraphs, and I eventually figured out that if I wanted to get past the first few sections, I would have to skim. It turned out that I ended up just reading the dialogues, and I have to say that not too much had happened as I reached the dialogue with el astrologo (I mean…we learn at the very beginning that he stole some money, and that he has to pay it back, and then I skipped a whole bunch…not on purpose…and then he talks about paying the money back) I probably missed a lot more than I think, but I wouldn’t know. I really wish I was more interested, so that I wouldn’t fall asleep and maybe understand more of the ongoing action. That way, I’d be able to make a proper judgement of what I read instead of saying “I didn’t get it….he makes no sense”…which is true, but I don’t like complaining to get out of stuff. This is what I kept thinking while I was reading…or trying to. As a more serious point, I really don’t quite understand what Arlt is doing structure-wise. I don’t understand why there is a new titled section every few pages. I don’t understand what Arlt is getting at plot-wise…although it seems interesting, but it’s written badly, and I can’t quite grasp the point.

I guess before I put a book down and call it bad, I want to understand it completely. I want to believe that the author has tried his or her best, and that I’ve believed in it’s potential….and then I can put it down…unless it’s Eva Luna…that was just bad from the beginning. I guess I just need a lecture on Los Siete Locos to understand a bit more of what’s going on, because I’m lost. One last thing….is this a movie? I think it would be better as a movie, because it’s hard for me to imagine what’s going on, and I think that the structure would suit a film…but not a Hollywood type film. It would have to be a serious film with subtitles, but I may be completely off, and maybe there’s absolutely nothing interesting about the book.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The point that piqued my interest was when you mentioned if this was a movie. The first thing that came to my mind when I got to the dialogues was the fact that it appeared almost as filled with dialogue as a when I read a play. I think that this book would go over much smoother with an audience if it was a play because you are definitely the only person who thought this book was boring. I wish I had the nerve to skip over the lengthy sections where we see into the existential thoughts of Erdosain. There is nothing wrong with existential philosophy, but when it is never ending it is not what I would describe as interesting.

Rhiannon said...

just for the record: you are NOT 'the only person who thought this book was boring'. many other students' blogs mention that they find this book boring -beit for Arlt's unique (often confusing) style of writing and presentation/structure that loses them, the student's lack of interest in the themes -too dark, philosophical or introverted for their liking, etc. or just plainly that it takes too long to read and that the descriptions/reflections are lengthy and unfocussed. any way, regardless of the reason, there are many students that are enjoying this book and many that are not thus far.

elena0sanchez said...

Would students enjoy these books more if they weren't forced to read them in class and if they had 'all the time in the world' to read them?